DS478 - Safety of Nuclear Fuel Cycle Facilities
Beteiligte IAEO-Komitees: NUSSC, RASSC, TRANSSC, WASSC, EPReSC
Specific Safety Requirements
The document (NS-R-5) was first published in 2008, the scope remains essentially unchanged.
The current revision (DS 478) was initiated to
- comply with the long term structure of safety standards approved in 2008
- ensure coherency and consistency with the other relevant IAEA Safety Standards (e.g. SF-1 and GSRs), and the recently published NPPs documents (SSR-2/1 and SSR-2/2)
- incorporate experience on application of the documents, and the operating experience feedback from the IAEA Incident reporting systems, and the feedback from the accident at the FukushimaDaiichi NPP
The new information in DS478 includes
- Relevant lessons from the accident at Fukushima Daiichi; Design Extension Conditions, improved regulatory effectiveness, severe accident management, Periodic Safety Review, robust cooling, greater strength / independence at DiD levels 3 and 4, hydrogen control.
- Sections “preparation for decommissioning” to replace “decommissioning”, as requested by the safety committees
- Interface between safety and security
- Consistency of “regulatory supervision”, “siting”, “management system” with other revised standards in accordance with committee requests
- Stronger requirements for ageing management and on-site material transfers
- Material more suitable to guidance removed
- References updated